18 March 2010

“Where laws end, tyranny begins.”

“Where laws end, tyranny begins” – This pithy quote is attributed to William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham (1708-1788). More than 2 centuries on, it still resonates resoundingly.

The presumption is that the laws are just. As I quote Dr Martin Luther King, Jr (1929-1968) in my blog banner: “There are two types of laws: Just and unjust”.


Poser: Where unjust laws end, then what???
I can’t pit myself against Pitt. And I am no Kingmaker. So I will leave it to you to find the answer.  Will there be a choral rejoinder about the Emperor's State of Undress (or Dress) - Glass Half-Empty or Half-Full Syndrome, eh? 

In this trilogy:
Part A – President said, I said
Part B – The Generals said
Part C – PM said, I am saying

Why a trilogy? Because the Land Titles (Strata) Act ("LTSA") has triplet objectives.

The House delivered “triplets". But the Executive, the Legislature, the Judiciary and the Civil Service only remembered the “twins (as shown in Part B of this trilogy). The third baby (alive and kicking and glowingly pink - our Singaporean Identity Cards, I mean) was unceremoniously thrown out with the bath water!  Hello, does anyone care? 

Who are the precious triplets? According to the Hansard, the triplet objectives of LTSA are:

1.  “… housing units in prime 999-year leasehold or freehold areas for Singaporeans” (First primary objective – Our citizens). Waaargh .......!


2.  “… creating more housing units” (Second primary objective – Higher land-use intensity). Coo-coooo ...


3.  “a secondary benefit is that these developments, especially the older ones, could have been rejuvenated through the en bloc process” (Third secondary objective – Urban rejuvenation). Babble, babble ...

No comments: